A damaged portable hard disc can be fixed, yes.
A hard disc drive (HDD) is a popular storage option that is used by professional photographers, entrepreneurs, and home users. One of the major problems that Windows users have is hard drive corruption. You get the error notice “You need to format the disc in drive: before you can use it” when you try to access a corrupted hard drive.
The most typical indication that a hard disc is corrupt:
- The computer system does not recognise the attached hard drive.
- The drive cannot be accessed, says the error notice. The directory or file is damaged and illegible.
- Formatting the disc is required due to an error.
- The hard disc displays a value of 0.
- Please insert a disc drive to fix the error.
Attempt these fixes to fix a corrupt hard drive:
Fix 1: Scan your hard drive for viruses
Hard disc corruption may be caused by malware or viruses. To resolve the problem, you can do a malware scan on your hard drive. A built-in antivirus application called Windows Defender Antivirus is included with Windows.
Follow these steps to perform a scan:
- Open System Settings by pressing Windows + I, then select Update & Security > Windows Security.
- On the right side, click Virus & threat protection.
- The apparatus will be scanned. You can see any viruses that were found in the scan results.
- If there are any more instructions shown on the screen, follow them to resolve the hard disk’s problems. then restart your computer and try to access the hard drive right now.
Fix 2: Run the CHKDSK command to repair a corrupt hard drive.
Built-in utilities are available on Windows and macOS to repair hard drive corruption and restore lost data.
Windows can fix a corrupt hard drive.
- Step 1: Click Windows PowerShell after pressing the Win + X shortcut (Admin).
- Step 2: Enter the command chkdsk g: /f /r /x in Windows PowerShell (Replace g with the letter of the corrupted hard drive).
- Press Enter, then wait while the scanning is completed.
Notes regarding the command parameters:
Check Disk is referred to as chkdsk.
G: designates the drive to be scanned; /f instructs the process to correct any mistakes it finds; /r instructs it to recover the data in the bad sectors; /x compels the disc to unmount in order for the process to begin.
Fix 3. SFC Scan should be run to repair a corrupt hard drive.
SFC (System File Checker) is an additional system tool for examining Windows for corruption. The procedure will check the hard drive’s integrity and attempt to repair any corrupted or damaged files.
- Step 1. As stated in Fix 1, launch Windows PowerShell as an administrator.
- Step 2. Hit Enter after entering sfc /scannow.
- Step 3. After the automatic scanning has begun, you must restart your computer.
Note: Use the following command in Step 2 if the disc is an external drive:
sfc /scannow /offwindir=c:/offbootdir=c:/Windows