If you no longer want to make your data available to the online giants, you have to delete yourself from the Internet. Here’s how it works.
With Google you can either delete all or individual activities.
- For both options, call up the link myactivity.google.com.
- To delete all data, click delete activities by and select Total time.
- To remove individual activities, such as a search query via Google, scroll down to the activities and select the respective element. To find it easier, you can search for it by day or via the filter. In sequence you click on Delete.
Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp
To remove your data from the meta-societies Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp, proceed as follows:
- On Facebook you can delete individual posts. Open the activity logabove the small arrow in the upper bar. From this list you select the desired posts and delete them. If you want to close your account, open the settings and your Facebook information. Below you select Delete account permanently.
- On Instagram, you can also remove photos individually. To do this, open the respective image, click on the 3 dots at the top right and tap Delete. If you want to delete your account in general, go to the settings, select Help and the help area. Click on the 3 bars at the top right, click on Manage account and then go to Delete your account.
- To remove all data on WhatsApp, go to Settings and Account in the app and select Delete my account. Then enter the paired phone number and confirm with Delete My Account.
- For an account deletion, call up amazon.de/privacy/data-deletion, scroll to the bottom of the page and select a reason for deletion.
- Then click the check mark on Yes, I want to permanently close my Amazon account and delete my data and confirm this via Close My Account.
- With Apple, you call up the link privacy.apple.com and log in with the Apple ID.
- Then click on Delete your account.
- At the bottom of the page, select a reason for deletion and click Next.
- Here are tips for data backup until you get to the point where you have to provide your phone number or email address to get a code sent for finalization.
- This is entered on the website. Apple will get in touch once the account has been permanently deleted.
If you want to delete your Microsoft account, you should keep in mind that it also couples services such as Xbox or Outlook, to which you lose access if deleted.
- First, you call http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=523898 and log in to your Microsoft account.
- By clicking on Next, you have to click on several check boxes. This confirms that you have understood the instructions for deleting the account.
- Then select a reason for deletion and go to Mark as account to close. Microsoft shows when the account will be deleted and gives 60 days to reactivate it.
- Finally, click Done.
To delete your Spotify account, you need to instruct customer service to do so. But this is only possible in the browser.
- First, go to spotify.com and log in.
- Click About and then click Customer Service and Support
- Select Use contact form
- Then go to Account and I want to close my account
- Finally go to Close Account and click Contact to Close in the new dialog
- To talk to a consultant, click Start Chat. There you can request the account deletion.
Websites such as justdelete.me offer collections of links to the deletion options of many portals and services. This allows you to remove other online accounts. Attention: Not all links there are up to date.
Data is not deleted immediately
With almost every operator and portal, the data is not deleted immediately. The operators argue this, among other things, with the fact that criminals cannot immediately cover their tracks if they notice that the authorities are on their trail. With most major services, the data remains stored for 60 to 90 days after the account has been deleted by the user.
If you don’t want to get out completely right away, but at least want to reduce your data trail on the Internet, you can delete cookies in your browser. Attention: If you do not use any measures to prevent the re-creation of cookies (e.g. Incognito mode, use privacy-focused browser), you will be tracked by the major Internet services as soon as you surf the web again.
- To delete Firefox cookies in the browser, click on the 3 bars in the upper right corner and select settings. On Privacy & Security and then click. Chronicle Via recently created chronicle comes to the stored cookies – click. Delete now
- Click Google Chrome on the 3 dots in Settings the upper right corner and select . To Privacy and Security go Delete browsing data and go. Click in the cookies and other website data displayed list. Select which cookies you want to delete
- On Safari Settings and in the Privacy following go on. Consequently, click on manage website data and remove all cookies either individually or immediately
- Click Edge in Delete browser data the browser, click on cookies and website data and confirm with Delete